Springtime Cosplay + Cross Stitch Update

Over the past month I have been plugging away at a few projects. I always find it great to juggle between projects. It keeps my motivation fresh, and I have something to jump to if I’ve had a screw up, or a bad day.

Near completion on my Sailor Mars costume to wear at ACEN 2017 next month. The fuku is complete, along with gathering all my accessories. I am very excited with how this costume has come along. All the connecting pieces either pin or snap in place, and the skirt is connected.


I need to manage the puckering around the “V” shape on the front of the skirt. I had added horsehair braid to the bottom of the skirt and wow did that make the thing shoot up. I’m thankful that I was able to seam rip the material out and save the hem.


The shoulders and hip rolls were a bit of a challenge. I attempted to use foam and fiber fill batting, but it left them both looking lumpy. I went out and grabbed some quilt batting and was extremely satisfied with the result.

I had purchased some gloves off Amazon but the quality and shade did not match the white of the chest. I got a new pair at a local costume shop here in Columbus, Ohio. I just need to add the glove rolls and this costume should be complete!

I purchased my tiara and earrings from Catzias Collectables on Etsy. The tiara is crafted beautifully! Made of real brass and so delicate looking. I will most likely fasten to the wig for stability (and I have a large head). Below is a link to her store:

CatziasCollectibles Etsy

For the wig, I usually purchase my cosplay wigs from Arda, but lately they have not had any of the items I am looking for in stock. So I thought I’d give Epic Cosplay wigs a try. I am SO excited about this wig, the fibers are super silky. I think I may have permanently switched over to Epic!

I went with the Purple Black fusion color, in the Persephone style. The added color will stand out so much more than solid black. Also, Rei has a lot of purples in her hair.



In just a few more weeks I’ll have the final costume assembled. I can’t wait to take some photos with the Sailor Scout group! Once I have the gloves completed I’ll need to do a try on session, maybe snap some pics.

Also, in my ACEN Costume line-up I am working on a Nadine Butler Cheerleader costume from Twin Peaks. Be on the look out for progress!!

One last little update, since I am still chugging away on cross stitch during my lunch hour at work. I’ve finished another line of characters on this Twin Peaks cross stitch. One more line of characters to go, and possibly adding some text and a border to the piece.

I have more details in a previous post regarding the source:


Hopefully I’ll have this completed by the May 21st Season 3 premiere! (which is the same weekend I’ll need the costumes done for. Time to be productive!)

Until next time– when I have more progress to pander about.


No Face Stitch: WIP

Taking a quick detour from my other projects to stitch a cute No Face cross stitch from Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away.

Found a cute pixel pattern and just had to give it a try. Will most likely frame and hang in my new house once it’s finished.

Materials:  14 White Aida, and 4″ hoop.

Below is the pixel pattern I’ve been following, I’m unsure of the source. I will research and update!

Costume Hiatus for Cross Stitching

My hiatus from costumes and sewing is coming to a close. I have kept myself quite busy through these long winter months with a new affinity for cross stitching!

Last summer I worked on a couple costume projects that involved embroidering flowers and faces. To complete the projects I used embroidery floss, and it reminded me of my mother. She used to cross stitch and watch TV when I was growing up. I remember her teaching me how to stitch, and how I’d sneak and use her floss for other projects.

Naturally, since I am a fan of all things geek, I wanted to try my hands at stitching some video game pixel sprites. I got the idea from creating a pixel art gift bag item out of pearler beads. (Those cute beads you melt with an iron.) Unfortunately, when you live with a lot of cats, one of them is bound to make an instant mess of beads. So in comes cross stitching, and the tedious accuracy it requires drives my obsessive compulsive lifestyle wild!

My goal is to cross stitch all 151 original Pokemon, but specifically their sprites from Fire Red. I am not generating any patterns, just printing off the pixel art and stitching from there. I tried to use some pattern generator sites and did just not have any luck.


I’ve set my goal pretty high… my progress so far is 11 completed! I have a Ghastly and Psyduck completely stitched as well, but have yet to add the backing.

Materials:  16 Aida off white and 4 inch wooden hoops. I then am adding a paper backing to the piece with the number.


The array chosen is a little random, I know, but I wanted to stitch the ones I like first… but now I’m going to begin stitching them in the correct order! (My favorite Pokemon is Geodude, by the way.)

Definite work in progress here… but I’ll update as more Pokemon are completed!

Another current work in progress cross stitch piece I have going has to do with my obsession of the show:  Twin Peaks. I’ve been a fan for many years, and am very excited for the upcoming 3rd season.

I was inspired by the pixel art done by Jim’ll Paint It. I have been following his pixel art found here:  Jim’ll Paint It: Twin Peaks


The piece is a lot larger so I’ve been plugging away at it here and there.

Materials:  14 Aida White and 10 inch wooden hoop.


I have been outlining the characters in black thread as they are completed, to add a bit of pop. I’ve also researched some framing methods and matting on foam core upon it’s completion. Just one more row to go!


I’ve really enjoyed picking up this hobby… I’ve found that I really want to stitch any cool pixel spray I come across! Who knows what will be next.